Welcome

This blog is about whatever the hell I want it to be. Which is mostly movies, comics, videogames and literature for the most part.

Occasionally it is funny.

Enjoy

Friday, March 18, 2011

Book Review Time!

So last night in the wee hours of the day I finished The Devil You Know by Mike Carey.

When I started the book I told Binah that it was like a watered-down version of the Dresden files. I quickly rescinded that statement.

The Devil You Know stars Felix "Fix" Castor, sarcastic wise-ass exorcist. He quit the job a year or so back when he messed up royally, but in a pinch he takes a new job and of course--because it's a book about something that is not "The routine life of a boring man"--everything gets super complicated.

I had a hard time with this book because the author is very, very British and has a vocabulary like the Oxford English Dictionary. I found myself stopping at least three times a chapter to look up stuff like what the English call those plates on the back of trucks that tell the world that they're carrying explosives or acids or something that may kill you if you stand too close. And sangfroid.

Other than that though I had a really fun time. I wasn't as "in" to the story as I could have been because of the words I was looking up. I think that's why I was able to pick out who the villain was so early in the story (don't worry I won't mention it). Usually I'm so absorbed I don't really think and so everything is a surprise.

The writing itself is the kind that you don't really notice, which is the kind I like best. I didn't think "Well, the writing isn't all the good but the story is great" and "Well, the writing is very good so I guess I'll stick around." The writing itself slipped behind your awareness and just let things unfold in your mind, calm and competent and contented just to let you experience the story.

Robin Hobb's writing is spectacular, which is why I stuck around for the first, second and part of the third Shamans Crossing books when I absolutely hated the story. The second book was described by a disgruntled Amazon customer as "The diary of a depressed fat man," and I have to agree. /rant

With the Morcyth saga, while the writing wasn't all that good, I liked the story. Bought 5 of the books I liked it so much. But by the time I got to the 5th book it was like I was reading the same book over and over. Travel. Fight. Travel. Fight. New magic. Fight. Faint a lot. Fight.

So when I don't notice the writing I consider it a wonderful thing. I can appreciate the story for what it is and the story of The Devil You Know is rather good.

I felt frustration along with Fix, relief when he didn't die, and all that sort of awesome stuff. Still, toward the end of the book I was still reserved about something, not giving the book my full vote of confidence.

The ending fixed that. It left me with a smile so wide it lasted until this morning when I woke up.

All in all, a wonderful read with at least 5 in the series so far (yes I've already started the second book, love Kindle for iPhone).

-McK

2 comments:

  1. I'm so leery of the entire fantasy genre after too many letdowns, but you're making me want to look into this series. Curse you!

    ReplyDelete