Welcome

This blog is about whatever the hell I want it to be. Which is mostly movies, comics, videogames and literature for the most part.

Occasionally it is funny.

Enjoy

Friday, March 11, 2011

The Wise Mans Fear

Today I'll be reviewing The Wise Mans Fear by Patrick Rothfuss.

The Wise Mans Fear is the second book of the Kingslayer books and from what I've read he's yet to slay any damn kings. If you're going to name a series of books Kingslayer I expect the walls to be painted with theocratic blood, dammit.

Facetiousness aside, I love this book. For one, Patrick is a lovely writer and though the book is slow at times I didn't have the urge to skip ahead and get to the action.

More importantly, the funny parts were actually funny. It takes a lot to make me laugh at a book. Example: Hitchhikers Guide was entertaining, but I didn't laugh. The only book that ever really made me laugh was Good Omens, and if you haven't read that get up from your computer right now, go buy it and read it.

Anyway, what I was getting at is that I have two distinct sense of humors, verbal and written. My sense of humor with written media is very different from my verbal humor (lol butts lol). So the fact that Patrick made me laugh goes a long way to endear him in my heart as a writer.

You'll notice I'm not saying much about the books storyline because pretty much everything is a spoiler. When the main character Kvothe (pronounced Quoth) forgets to shave it has world-changing consequences.

I will tell you what I like about Kvothe as a charcter; He's incredibly smart. Able to put together things and scenarios with rapidity. But he's also stupid as can be when it comes to women or what people think of him. He's competent, but there are people surrounding him who are far more so. Bottom line--he's not a Gary Stu.

The book is long which I like very much. I could read about Kvothe forever. Sadly, the book did end, in a typically frustrating middle-book way that leaves everything open and makes you want to tear the book in half (which would've been pretty neat for me as I read books on my phone).

In closing, go buy The Name of the Wind, then The Wise Mans Fear, and then grind your teeth along with me waiting for the next book.

-McK

No comments:

Post a Comment